HJF is seeking a Veterinary Technician to support the Combat Casualty Care program at the Naval Medical Research Unit – San Antonio (NAMRU-SA) in San Antonio, TX.
Responsible for supporting animal based research applying the latest scientific knowledge towards the solution of a broad range of theoretical and practical problems in the areas of hemorrhage and resuscitation, transplant surgery, immunomodulation, direct energy Bioeffects.
Conduct and support surgical procedure, operating room maintenance, animal disease prevention and health surveillance, appropriate animal housing, record keeping, and ensuring specific pathogen free techniques.
Daily handling and restraining of various small and large animal species.
Aid in maintaining sterile equipment, pest control, quality assurance procedures and record keeping.
Aid in conducting daily and weekly inspections or areas of responsibility to ensure compliance with standards.
Aid in coordinating animal procurement and shipping procedures.
Aid in ordering and maintaining inventory of supplies.
Aid in setting up, operating, modifying and maintaining laboratory equipment and apparatus.
Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge of standard laboratory techniques; experience handling animals; ability to follow detailed instructions; good communication and analytical skills. The incumbent must be proficient at using software tools such as Microsoft Word and Excel to maintain, create or modify departmental forms or obtain information. The incumbent must comply with the Institute's occupational health and safety requirements and be able to perform work while wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Associate’s degree as a Veterinary Technician, or be a licensed Veterinary Technician.
Minimum Experience: 2 to 4 years of experience
Physical Capabilities: The incumbent must be able to work on their feet for extended periods of time (entire work day) without interference of previous injuries and must be able to lift and carry items weighing up to 75 pounds for short distances. The incumbent must comply with the Institute's occupational health and safety requirements and be able to perform work while wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
Required Licenses, Certification or Registration: Applicants without a degree or veterinary technician license should have minimally achieved certification as a Laboratory Animal Technician (LAT) through the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) or be working towards getting the degree as part of continuing education.
Work Environment: Work in an animal facility including some activity in a laboratory environment.
Required Licenses, Certification or Registration: Must be a U.S. Citizen and must be able to pass a background investigation.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Vice President of Human Resources.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
How To Apply
Please send resumes to: Careers@HJF.org and reference "Veterinary Technician" in the subject line.
Veterinary Technician (2 positions)
Mesa Veterinary Clinic
Hours / Week
Days / Week
Mesa Veterinary Clinic and Paws N’ Hooves Mobile Veterinary Clinic are proud to provide quality convenient, and affordable services that “Help El Paso Help Our Pets!”
Mesa Veterinary Clinic and Paws N’ Hooves Mobile Veterinary Clinic are comprised of two small animal clinics- a fixed base clinic in West El Paso and two mobile veterinary clinics that rotate to different parts of the city- in addition to our mobile large animal services. It is our dedicated mission to provide our pets with the quality medical care that they deserve.
• Enters appointment date and time into computerized scheduler.
• Telephones patients to follow up on patient care
• Welcomes visitors by greeting them, in person or on the telephone; answering or referring inquiries
• Assist with restraint, handling and manipulation of various animals
• May euthanize and dispose of animal carcasses following established procedures
• Operate equipment and use supplies according to safety guidelines
• May perform minor medical treatments of animals as directed by the veterinary staff
• Administer injections, animal vaccinations, medications, treatments, and supportive care measures
• Incubate animals, place intravenous catheters, perform venipuncture, run diagnostic tests, and administer fluids as needed.
• Monitor vital signs of sedated and anesthetized patients in preoperative, operative, and postoperative phases
• Maintain all necessary controlled substance drug logs and patient records
• Clean and disinfect kennels, transport carriers, equipment, and facility
• Know basic veterinary medical concepts, including, but not limited to vaccine protocols and anesthetic risks. Be able to communicate such information to clients.
• When Veterinarian has documented information about an animal’s condition, adequately explain such information to clients.
• Remain composed while working in fast-paced environment
• Actively promote spay/neuter and educate clients on responsible animal ownership.
Skills and Qualifications:
• Personable and friendly
• Good communication skills (written and verbal)
• Basic computer knowledge
• Professional, motivated, energetic.
• Ability to multi-task
• Strong customer service ethic
• Detail orientated
• Punctual and dependable
• Knowledge of Avimark preferred
• Knowledge of basic animal care
• Knowledge of medical terminology and anatomy
• Bilingual required (English/ Spanish)
• Must be able to work a flexible schedule (including weekends)
• High School Diploma or GED
• Minimum 6 months consecutive customer service
• Minimum 6 months consecutive veterinary or medical field experience
• ANIMAL LOVERS ONLY
mmediate opening for Licensed Veterinary Technician for one-doctor small animal practice/dental specialty practice in DeWitt; unlicensed persons need not apply. We are NYSVMS accredited, AAHA accredited since 1987, and an AAFP-certified Cat Friendly Practice. Must have excellent client communication skills in addition to clinical proficiency; interest in dentistry a plus.
Our practices are focused on the human-animal bond and we strive to provide excellent pain management. We utilize a variety of techniques and devices to help us administer anesthesia with the utmost safety to our patients. Technicians are utilized to the fullest of their capabilities.
1) Part-Time position available, approximately 15-25 hours per week. No nights or weekends! Competitive salary (dependent on experience) and benefits package.
Full time position available, approximately 35 hours per week. No nights or weekends! Competitive salary (dependent on experience) and benefits package.