About the Program
The San Juan College Dental Hygiene Program employs a state of the art 9-operatory clinic in the Health and Human Performance Center at San Juan College. Each operatory is equipped with ADEC dental chairs, DENTSPLY Cavitron units, Computer access, and Schick intra-oral digital radiology capability. The Program offers experiences in a number of exciting new technologies such as Computer Controlled Anesthetic Delivery as well.
The mission of the San Juan College Dental Hygiene Program is to improve the quality of life of the citizens it serves by meeting the educational and human needs of the entire community in concert with other community agencies, businesses, industries and other groups.
To assist in the accomplishment of this mission, the Program will:
- Develop exceptional Dental Hygienists who are able to fulfill the multiple roles of the profession through demonstrated competence.
- Promote the health and well-being of New Mexico’s and the four-corners region’s diverse population by providing clinical dental care and community service.
- Meet the needs of the local dental professional community through:
- Addressing dental employment needs
- Providing continuing education opportunities
- Serving as a regional dental professional resource
Students who successfully complete the Program are eligible to take:
- The National Board Dental Hygiene Examination (NBDHE)
- The Western Regional Examining Board or other similar regional board
- Local Anesthesia Examination
- Clinical Examination
Individuals must be licensed in the specific state in which they plan to practice.
For more information about licensure, and to find links to specific State Boards please visit the American Dental Hygienists Association.
Dental Hygiene Advisory Board
Virgil Caldwell, PhD
Ronald Johnson, DMD
Linda Parks, RDH
Amy Davis, RDH
Julius Manz, DDS
Sherry Paxson, RDH, MA.Ed.
Callie Vanderbilt, PhD
Two Dental Hygiene Students
- Kyler Garrison, SDHS
- Alice Holman, JDHS
Gene Hilton, DDS
Elizabeth Onik, RDH, M.Ed.
Charles Schumacher, DDS