Dental Hygiene

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I considered a resident of New Mexico?

Students are classified as resident or nonresident based on the information provided on the San Juan College application. To be considered a resident, you must reside in the State of New Mexico for 12 consecutive months previous to your enrollment. Special Residency Status does exist for;

  • Native American students who are members of a nation and maintain a permanent residence on a reservation bordering New Mexico.
  • Colorado residents residing in counties which border New Mexico.

For more information visit the San Juan College Admissions Office.

Can I be exempt from any Dental Hygiene courses if I have previous experience as a Dental Assistant?

No. The coursework in the Dental Hygiene Program at San Juan College is specifically designed for Dental Hygienists. The level of understanding and clinical skill expected will be more advanced that that expected for a Dental Assistant.

Can I complete the Program at my own pace?

No. The courses must be taken in the scheduled sequence.

Can I test out or CLEP out of any classes?

You may be eligible to test out of some of your prerequisite and/or general education courses. This must be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. You may not however test or CLEP out of any of the Dental Hygiene Curriculum once accepted into the Program.

Do I have to have all of my prerequisites completed before I apply?

All of your prerequisite courses must either be completed with a “C” or better, or be in progress when you submit your application. All prerequisites MUST be completed with a “C” or better prior to beginning the Program.

Do I send my official transcripts to the admissions office or directly to the Program?

Please send all official transcripts from institutions other than San Juan College to the San Juan College Admissions Office.  (Not directly to the SJC Dental Hygiene Program).  They will determine which of your courses transfer for credit.  You may request to have your transcripts sent electronically.  Please have them emailed directly to the San Juan College Admissions Office at  Note: you MUST have applied to San Juan College in order for the Admissions Office to be able to analyze your transcripts and transfer your credits. When you apply, please be sure to mark Pre-Dental Hygiene as your major.

How do I apply?

Review the Application page of this website. Ensure that you meet the minimum Eligibility Requirements and follow the checklist in “How to Apply.” We STRONGLY encourage you to contact the Program to have our advisor assist you in determining your eligibility and helping to guide you in the process.

Dental Program
4601 College Blvd.
Farmington, NM 87402
(505) 5663642

I have a degree. Can my transfer credits meet all of the Dental Hygiene Program prerequisites?

You must have taken the required prerequisites or higher regardless of your previous degree in order to be eligible.

Is the Program Accredited?

Yes, the Dental Hygiene Program is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) and has been granted the accreditation status of Accredited without reporting requirements. The Commission is a specialized accrediting body recognized by the United States Department of Education. The Commission on Dental Accreditation can be contacted at:

(312) 4404653
211 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611

What housing is available near San Juan College?

San Juan College does not have on-campus housing. Therefore, students must procure their own
housing. More information about housing can be obtained at the Farmington Chamber of Commerce.

What is the benefit of attending the Dental Hygiene Program at San Juan College?

We strongly believe that we have an outstanding Program here at San Juan College.

  • Small class size means that each student is ensured of more individualized attention.
  • A state of the art dental clinic and world-class College resources.
  • Exceptional value! San Juan College ranks among the top 5 most affordable dental hygiene programs in the nation!
  • Outstanding recreation. Farmington, NM is in the heart of the 4-corners region. Close to
    world class Colorado skiing; Durango Mountain Resort, Telluride Ski Resort, Silverton
    Mountain, Wolfcreek, Hiking, Camping and Fishing.

When do I find out if I was accepted into the Program?

Typically we send out acceptance letters by the end of April each year.

When does the Program start?

The Program starts in the Fall semester of each year. All students are required to attend a mandatory Basic Life Support (BLS) training and orientation the week before classes start as well. Applications are due by the first Thursday in April of each year and the new class is typically selected by the end of April.

Why do I have to apply to both San Juan College as well as to the Dental Hygiene Program?

The San Juan College Admissions Office will make the determination of which of your college courses transfer and the credit you will receive. In order for the Admissions Department to analyze your transcripts, you must apply to and be accepted to San Juan College. Application to San Juan College is free if you apply online and there is a minimal fee of $10.00 to apply in person.