Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing (BSN)
This is a four year program leading to a Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing (BSN) and offered in the traditional semester format over the course of 8 semesters. Class and clinical sessions meet mainly during daytime hours.
Students in the UNM partnership BSN program of study (POS) will graduate with an associate degree in nursing (ADN) from San Juan College and with a baccalaureate degree in nursing (BSN) from the University of New Mexico. A minimum 30 institutional credit hours are required through the University of New Mexico to meet degree requirements for graduation.
BSN Program Application Process
Nursing application packets are available only during the fall (October – February) or spring (June – September) open application periods. Application to the NMNEC San Juan College/University of New Mexico BSN program is a dual application process. The following must be received by the application deadline:
- Apply to San Juan College if not a SJC student, and complete the admission enrollment process.
- Submit official transcripts from all schools attended to the San Juan College Enrollment Services Office for evaluation of course transfer credit. Do not submit official transcripts to the SJC nursing department.
- Submit additional official school transcript(s) as required in the current San Juan College Nursing Program BSN Dual Degree application instructions.
- Complete all prerequisite courses (26 credit hours) by the end of the fall or summer semester prior to the current application deadline.
- Submit a current nursing application. Application packets are available in October and June.
- Apply to the University Of New Mexico College Of Nursing by submitting a nursing application through the UNM NursingCAS online nursing application system and following the provided UNM NursingCAS specific instructions.
- Submit all official school transcripts to the UNM College of Nursing through the UNM NursingCAS instructions.
- Apply to the University of New Mexico and submit all official school transcripts. UNM admission fees apply.
- If you are reapplying to the NMNEC SJC/UNM Dual Degree nursing program, a new application and updated transcripts are required to be submitted per current application packet instructions.
- Complete the ATI TEAS (Test of Essential Academic Skills) for nursing exam and submit score result(s) to the SJC Nursing Department. All applicants are required to have current test scores for the application period.
- The exam can be taken once per test period through the SJC Testing Center. Off-Campus testing is available through the SJC Testing Center. Refer to the appropriate On-Campus or Off-Campus testing instructions as applicable.
- Topics for this exam include reading, math, science, English and language usage.
- Study guides are available in the SJC Bookstore or can be ordered from the ATI (Assessment Technologies Institute) website.
- Additional preparation resources include practice exams and exam course through the ATI website and tutoring assistance in the San Juan College Student Success Center. Refer to application packet for further detail regarding testing requirements, eligible scores, testing dates, instructions and scheduling the exam.
- Activate San Juan College student email account.
BSN Program Selection Requirements
To be eligible for the nursing program selection process, the following program requirements must be completed by the current application deadline:
- Enrolled as a San Juan College student.
- Submitted all official school transcripts as listed in the application instructions.
- Taken the ATI TEAS (Test of Essential Academic Skills) for nursing exam and obtained the minimum eligible Adjusted Individual Total Score. Only official testing transcript score results will be used for selection point calculation.
- Submitted a current complete San Juan College BSN nursing program application with additional required documents to the San Juan College Nursing Department. Note: If reapplying for selection, a new application is required.
- Submitted a University of New Mexico College of Nursing application through the UNM NursingCAS online nursing application system.
- Apply to the University of New Mexico.
- Achieved a minimum overall cumulative GPA of 2.0. The GPA requirement must be fulfilled at the end of the fall or summer semester prior to the current application deadline.
- Achieved a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 in the BSN 26 credit hour prerequisite courses. The GPA requirement must be fulfilled at the end of the fall or summer semester prior to the current application deadline. All prerequisite courses require a minimum grade of ‘C’.
- Completed all BSN prerequisite courses (26 credit hours).
- Level 1 program entry prerequisites (23 credit hours) must be in process for completion by Level 1 entry.
BSN Program Selection
Selection of students to the San Juan College nursing program is based on a point system. Students are ranked according to total points. Nursing Program slots are filled beginning with the highest ranking students. Completing all requirements does not guarantee acceptance to the BSN program.
Selection points are awarded based on the following:
- GPA – GPA is calculated from grades received in the required 26 credit hour prerequisites. 40% of points will be awarded based on the cumulative 26 credit hour prerequisite GPA.
- ATI Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) for Nursing Score. 50% of points will be awarded based on the highest eligible Adjusted Individual Total Score.
- ATI Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) for Nursing Proficiency Score. 3% of points will be awarded based on the achievement of an Adjusted Individual Total Score of 64% or higher.
- Residence Status: 2% of points will be awarded based on San Juan County residence status.
- San Juan College Student Status: 3% of points will be awarded to San Juan College students who have completed a minimum of 12 of the required 17 prerequisite credit hours at San Juan College.
- Science GPA: 2% of points will be awarded for a combined 3.5 GPA or higher based on 8 credits in basic and health science courses.
BSN Program Acceptance
Students will be notified of nursing program acceptance status by postal mail in spring for a fall program entry and fall for a spring program entry. Applicants who have not met basic program eligibility requirements will also be contacted by mail regarding their status.
When selected students have confirmed program acceptance, a detailed information packet will be provided with specific instructions and guidelines regarding the requirements (i.e., immunizations, CPR, etc.) to be completed prior to starting the Nursing Level 1 Semester courses. Selected students are required to attend a nursing orientation.
Application prerequisites are to be completed by the end of the fall or summer semester prior to the current application deadline and Level 1 entry prerequisites be in progress. Program general education core courses can be completed prior to or during the required semester listed. Nursing courses (NRSG) are taken in semester level sequence.
NMNEC Common Course Number Crosswalk
A grade of “C” or higher must be achieved in every course required in the curriculum.
Completing all general education course requirements does not guarantee acceptance to the program.
BSN Estimated* Program Costs
Information about the estimated cost of the BSN Dual Degree Program is included in the application packet. The information is approximate and is subject to change.